Chief Operating Officer
Out client is looking for an experienced and dynamic individual to join the organization/leadership team as the Chief Operating Officer, reporting to the company co-founder and CEO/President. The individual will be responsible for building, developing, and managing an organization of directors, operations managers, supervisors, and associates spread across four separate regional distribution centers. The individual will drive the strategic and operational processes of the distribution centers and will provide hands-on leadership and direction of all functions of distribution center operations including warehouse, pick/pack/ship, logistics management and procurement. To be successful in this role, the individual must build, maintain, and continuously improve an infrastructure that includes inventory control, warehouse, and logistics to ensure customer satisfaction and positive profit margins.
- Develop long-range objectives and strategies for multiple distribution centers, monitor performance against these objectives and provide feedback to site direct report(s) and team members.
- Create and document standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and best practices uniformly across all DC’s
- Establish KPI’s and metrics to track and report on performance of processes and transform data into actionable insights and recommendations
- Lead large-scale process improvements through Lean process, Kaizen, and/or Six Sigma
- Build operational strategic plan in conjunction with CEO’s vision to enhance profitability, productivity, and efficiency for the company’s distribution, returns and logistics efforts.
- Provide input on IT systems requirements to support process improvements and develop framework for successful implantation at scale across all operations.
- Provides leadership, supports, motivates, directs and retains high-caliber staff.
- Develop and implement ongoing staff performance and career development programs.
- Promotes “total customer satisfaction” (delivery, quality etc.) within all operations teams.
- Ensure employee safety at all Distribution Center(s)
- Manage logistics and outbound transportation processes, negotiate parcel freight programs. Implement improved processes and management methods to generate higher ROI and workflow optimization.
- Continually investigate and introduce process improvement measures and presents suggestions to the leadership team
- Develop and manage annual distribution and logistics operations budgets.
- Build an open and honest communication line with the organization
- Interact regularly with executive team and individual department heads to ensure that company’s operational priorities are aligned with total company direction.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly performance reports. Prepare/present materials in executive team meetings as well as board meetings
Qualifications And Skills
- 15+ years of Distribution and Operations experience in progressively senior positions
- Entrepreneurial mindset; low-ego; strong work-ethic
- Experience managing a multi-site, multi-state distribution center structure
- In depth knowledge and experience with key operations, supply chain/logistics processes, best practices, and implementing process improvements
- Demonstrable analytical abilities to assess financial impacts of any changes to logistics service requirements
- Supplier negotiation skills, proven cost reduction efforts and experience with UPS and Fed Ex contracts
- Strong analytical, data-driven, financial & P&L skill required
- Expertise with inventory and labor optimization strategies
- A high sense of urgency & the ability to build & lead strong teams to achieve new levels of performance
- Experience developing new facilities in multiple states
- Ability to fluently present complex information to different audience levels (owners, board members, middle management and front-line team members)
- Computer skills including experience utilizing multiple ERP & WMS systems; also strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)